So I’ve been on edge. Sue me. It’s expected, isn’t it? I haven’t got any clothes I like at all. I get dressed and seriously hate the way that I look and seriously hate myself for not making it to the gym. Or keeping up my look as most Lebanese women do. That’s expected of me seeing as I’m half-Lebanese. That means my toenails are like claws, my cuticles are chewed, and coloring in my roots with my brown MAC mascara is no longer cutting it.
It’s in these moments that I glimpse my three-year-old daughter watching my every move ready to dish out the same information I always dish out to her when she’s having a not-so-great day.
She looks at me and says, “It’s okay, Mommy, you have to smile .” Ah yes, wise one. Kinda cute but also kinda cringe.
Here are 16 other ways to get through your day like a three year old:
- After an argument with a friend (or husband), “Take a deep breath and then ask them to play nicely.”
- Not everything can be planned.
- Most things can be fixed.
- Bubbles really do make bath time more enjoyable.
- Completing any work needs to be rewarded with a snack afterwards.
- Sometimes you just have to dance it out.
- Mash-ups can be performed anywhere, anytime, “Mary had a wheels on the bus.”
- It sometimes takes a lot of concentration to put our shoes on.
- Everything has a fixer (she means solution).
- Try everything on your plate.
- Lip gloss is pretty.
- Wearing a dress is always the best option.
- Or wearing a skirt.
- Every girl needs a bit of sparkle and glitter in her accessories closet.
I love kids’ perspective and pristine look at things. No, nothing really is worth it but sometimes, just sometimes, we all need to have a little cry and then move on with our day.